|02/03/2016||POLITICAL SCIENCE 2013-14|
Department of Political Science
Report of Activities
(January- May 2016)
1. The department had its annual academic day, ‘Politik’ on the 12th of January, 2016 with the theme, 'Politics of Dissent'. The event began with lighting of lamp by the Principal of the college Dr. Rita Malhotra and the guest speaker for the day, Prof. NeeraChandhoke. This was followed by a welcome address by Ms. Nupur Ray, the teacher-in-charge of the department. There was screening of a video, 'GaonChorabNahin' to give the students an idea of dissent and protests in Indian politics. This was followed by a talk on politics of dissent by Prof. Chandhokeespecially with reference to women's movements and debate on intolerance in the Indian society and an interactive session with the students and teachers of the department. There were various informal actives like cartoon making, poster making, rangoli making and online photography along with a very interesting quiz and a play scripted and produced by students on the debate of intolerance in India.
2. Lecture by Dr. GursharanDhanjal (editor and CEO of Skoch Group) on ‘Gandhi and Governance’ for third year students on 21 January 2016.
3. Dr. Monika Chutani and Ms.VaishaliNarula and two students from fourth semester participated in a capacity building workshop on e-content creation in Political Science on 27.01.2016.
4. The Canadian High Commission of India in association with Dept. of Political Science, KNC organized an interactive panel discussion on women's issue of 'Economic Independence and Skilled Empowerment: Is it the way forward?’ on Feb 1, 2016. The panel comprised of the Premier of the state of Ontario, Canada, Ms. Kathleen Wynne and women parliamentarians from Afghanistan, Pakistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka and India.The panel discussion gave a valuable opportunity to students of Delhi University to interact and exchange views with women parliamentarians on some of the common concerns and challenges around economic empowerment of women in the South Asian region.
5. Delhi State Legal Services Authority (DSLSA) in collaboration with National Law University, Sector 14, Dwarka, Delhi, organized a seminar on, “The Rights of Victims of Crime” on 27th February, 2016. Dr. Monica Chutani along with a group of students attended the seminar.
14. The Department of Political Science in association with Expressions (English Creative Writing Society) organized an interaction with Palestinian Writers – Laila El-Haddad and Tamim Al-Barghouti atSeminar Room on March 11, 2016. Laila El-Haddad is an award-winning Palestinian writer and public speaker from Gaza City. She is the author of Gaza Mama: Politics and Parenting in Palestine, co-author of the critically acclaimed The Gaza Kitchen: A Palestinian Culinary Journey, and co-editor of Gaza Unsilenced. Tamim Al-Barghouti is a Palestinian poet, columnist and political scientist. He published his first poem at the age of eighteen. In 1999, he wrote his first poetry collection, Mijana, after he visited Palestine for the first time. Currently, he is Consultant to the United Nations Economic and Social Committee for West Asia. The talk was followed by a poetry reading session by students of Expressions comprising poems from Palestinian poets as well as self composed poems on conflicts.
6. Professor ShantaNedungadiVarma of the Department of Political Science, University of Delhi, delivered a special lecture on "India and the US: the Dynamics of Engagement" on Wednesday, 16th March, 2016 at 11:00 am in the Council Room. The talk was organised keeping in mind the course requirement of the 6th Semester course on India's Foreign Policy.
7. Dr. Monica Chutani and VaishaliNarula participated in an MODC workshop organised by ILLL on 30/3/2016.